It’s time – you’re finally ready to take care of that missing tooth in the back of your mouth. You’ve heard about dental implants in Greensboro, but you’re not completely sure if they’re right for you, or how they compare to other replacement teeth options. Luckily for you, the experts at Lake Oconee Dentistry share their knowledge and experience in this post – they give you all the details you need to decide if implants are the best solution.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dr. David Bradley, Dr. Patti Bradley, and Dr. Shelly Pound explain that dental implants consist of three individual parts that form your new tooth:
- Implant – The implant itself is a titanium post that is surgically placed in your jaw to provide a secure foundation. You’ll need about 3-6 months for the artificial tooth root to fuse to your jaw during a process called osseointegration. Then, the other pieces of the implant can be added.
- Abutment – This part connects the implant to the dental crown. Once your jaw is strong enough, it will be fastened to the post, and then the tooth-shaped “cap” is affixed to it.
- Dental Crown – The long-lasting, natural looking dental crown is made of biocompatible porcelain and is attached right after the abutment. Once this is placed, you’ll be done – you can start showing off your brilliant new smile.
Are Dental Implants Better Than Other Artificial Teeth?
Yes! Dental implants are the gold standard for prosthetic teeth. They’re far superior to other tooth replacement options, like bridges, partials, and full dentures. Here’s why:
- Improved Nutrition – Since your implant will stay in place, you’ll be able to enjoy a variety of foods and maintain a well-balanced diet. Apples, carrots, and even corn on the cob can be a part of your menu again.
- Increased Jawbone Strength – Dental implants actually augment the density of the jawbone, rather than causing it to wear away like dentures and bridges do.
- Longevity – Dental implants last longer than traditional dentures and dental bridges.
- Appearance – Implants will blend right in with your existing dentitions – the only person who’ll notice you have a false tooth is you.
- Cost – Although other options for artificial teeth may be less expensive initially, dental implants actually save you money over the course of a lifetime, since you’ll rarely need to replace them.
- Better Speech – You’ll never have to worry about being understood when you talk with dental implants. They don’t move around in your mouth like dentures, so you’ll be able to speak clearly.
- Your Smile Will Stay In Place – Who wants to put their teeth in a cup a night? You’ll never have to worry about the embarrassment of dentures in your daily life, even when you kiss your sweetheart. And, you can say goodbye to messy dental adhesives, too.
As you can see, working with your implant dentist in Greensboro is the best way to restore your smile – so, what are you waiting for? Schedule your appointment with Lake Oconee Dentistry today!