HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE ECONOMIC IMPLICATIONS of regular dental checkups? We know that some people think of routine exams and cleanings as an expense. But, in reality, studies show that this type of preventive care saves money over time by helping you avoid far more serious (and expensive) treatment.
Let’s think about our cars for a minute. We all know the value of keeping up our regular oil changes, right? While it’s a routine expense, it can help our vehicle run smoothly for years longer than it would otherwise—and help us avoid major, costly repairs.At Lake Oconee Dentistry, we can make it possible for you to keep your teeth for life. Depending on what stage your teeth are in now, that might not seem like anything relatable, but just ask anyone who’s been living with dentures to tell you how remarkable that possibility is. Although it wasn’t possible for people generations ago, the key to keeping your teeth for life is regular maintenance. It takes a tiny bit of preventive care.
Your Typical Six Month Check-up:
- Checking for Gum Disease – Gum disease is the #1 reason people lose teeth. It is sometimes called the “quiet destroyer”, because it progresses slowly causing inflammation and regression in your jawbone that supports your teeth. Without checkups, by the time you notice something wrong it is often too late.
- Looking for Tooth Decay – The more dental restoration that’s been done in the past on a specific tooth, the more attention it will need over time. Old fillings and root canal treatments need more frequent examination and x-rays than untouched teeth. Even the very best fillings can have a limited life. If there’s microscopic space between the tooth structure and the filling it can result in decay. Catch this early to avoid losing the tooth.
- Examining Your Bite – Your bite should be checked to be sure that teeth are in harmony with each other. An unbalanced bite can not only damage your teeth, but also wear on your joints and cause arthritic problems and unnecessary pain.
- Your Breath – While many people feel uncomfortable talking about it, bad breath is a problem a good number of us live with. And plaque (not what you eat) is the most common cause of this condition. If you are worried about this, let us know. We can check into what might be causing it and offer suggestions to help.
- Changes in Soft Tissue – Checking for signs of oral cancer is a huge part of your routine checkup. Did you know, according to the oral cancer foundation, that the death rate for oral cancer is higher than cancers such as cervical cancer, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, laryngeal cancer, cancer of the testes, and endocrine system cancers such as thyroid, or skin cancer (malignant melanoma)? The death rate associated with this cancer is particularly high not because it is hard to discover or diagnose, but due to the cancer being routinely discovered so late in its development. Don’t take the risk… Especially when Drs. Bradley and Boswell are trained to help through early detection.
Six-Monthly Checkups Can Help Save You Time, Money, Discomfort, Hassle (and teeth). Period.
Don’t wait until something hurts to think about your teeth. Come visit our Greensboro, Georgia office today. Your mom was right—an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Spending a little time with our team not only makes sense for your health and appearance, but also for your bank account.We look forward to your next visit! Call us at 850-267-3313 or stop by for a virtual visit on our Twitter or Facebook pages.